Re: ext3 status?

From: Jeff V. Merkey (jmerkey@timpanogas.com)
Date: Thu Mar 02 2000 - 11:20:21 EST

Stephen,

I am assuming that the journal is being handled as a file (since it's
represented as an inode), so after the convert, if I create the journal
file empty, or not at all, EXT3 will auto-create it the first time the
volume is mounted? This is what I am doing at present with NetWare2NTFS
conversion (create it empty) and the first time Windows 2000 mounts the
converted volume, the journal and the first 16 meta files are created
when the volume is mounted.

Are there any meta-files other than the journal on EXT3 that may require
to be present empty or with default data after the conversion less
inodes and data extent records?

(OT)BTW - the NTFS driver (write) in Linux has data corruption on W2K.
I have reviewed the code, and the on-disk structures are WRONG in
several places, and several of the internal attribute records are making
incorrect assumptions about some of the record fields. What's there
will cause severe data-corruption if you are switching between the two
platforms with a single partition image, particularly with the later W2K
NTFS implementation (though NT 4.0 seemed to be OK -- some problems with
the journal). The NTFS driver we tested was using the earlier FS
implementation (n/2), not the newer W2K formats. The first time W2K
mounts an NTFS volume with 4.0 format, it will auto-convert the NTFS
volume to the W2K Volume Manager formats under Windows 2000, including
any stripe sets, and potentially make incorrect decisions about
attribute assignment if a journal is present and the volume has been
booted under NT 4.0 after Linux has written to it.

Thought you might like to know. We contracturally cannot help fix the
NTFS driver in Linux, but we can point out potential problems and
explain them to the best of our understanding.

Jeff