Re: [OT] Microsoft invents symbolic links

From: Matt Spong (spong@glue.umd.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 02 2000 - 13:52:01 EST

> Brilliant way to lose all your valuable data at once.

How so?

> There has been lots of cruft-removal, find-indentical utilities floating around
> the unix world for ages. At least one (methinks more) is actually packaged with
> debian. I wonder why they never came to wide use... ;-)

Probably because the only reason Microsoft put this into W2k is that there
is so much file duplication that they're desperate to find a way to reduce
it. Win2k's MINIMUM INSTALLATION SIZE is 1 gb (!) and they know that
people aren't going to stand for that type of thing for very much longer.
In the Unix world, this type of thing is much less of a problem, so there
was never such a need for this type of utility.

Matt

| | |
| UM Linux Users' Group Secretary | <http://www.umlug.org> |
| | |
| "Cold rum and endo fill my body, | "C++ is to C as Lung Cancer |
| where's the party?" | is to Lung." |
| -Outkast | -AC on Slashdot |
| | |
-------=====< Finger spong+@glue.umd.edu for PGP Public Key >=====--------