Re: udelay() on alpha

From: Philipp Rumpf (prumpf@inwestnet.de)
Date: Thu Mar 02 2000 - 16:47:36 EST

> I noticed that udelay() on i386 was changed to use TSC (in Alan's 2.2.15pre).
> Why not use the cycle counter on alphas?
> Benefits:

> - no need to worry about slotting and other black magic on a future alphas

I don't think Alpha is going to get the idea of real power management
anytime soon (and probably the cycle counters won't keep counting at a
constant rate as that would make profiling impossible).

> - higher bogomips ;-)

Actually, I guess more architectures will move to a cycle counter / interval
timer based udelay(), so the MIPS part of BogoMIPS won't be appropriate
anymore (hmm .. what about simply using MHz ?).

Another issue is whether we really want to calibrate a delay loop when
we can pass in the right value (or have firmware pass it in) and avoid
some 16 timer ticks during boot (this might be very interesting for the
embedded folks).

        Philipp Rumpf