Re: oom killing

From: Rask Ingemann Lambertsen (rask@kampsax.k-net.dk)
Date: Thu Mar 02 2000 - 16:13:39 EST

Den 02-Mar-00 17:28:08 skrev ADAM Sulmicki fĝlgende om "Re: oom killing":

> Can you give brief description what whatw as wrong/how if it is fixing.

   The first part is easy enough:

   1) It does it in the first place.
   2) It kills the system instead of keeping it running. It nukes
unimportant processes like init, syslogd, klogd, atd, crond, inetd, smbd
but let important processes like netscape keep running so that it can
allocate more memory.

> And for that matter, wouldn't it be better to simply disable memory
> overcommiting by default?

   It _is_ off by default. Which leads me to ask: How can the kernel need
to kill random processes to free memory when /proc/sys/vm/overcommit_memory
= 0? It sounds like a bug to me.

Regards,

/ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻTŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ\
| Rask Ingemann Lambertsen | E-mail: mailto:rask@kampsax.dtu.dk |
| Please do NOT Cc: to me or the | WWW: http://www.gbar.dtu.dk/~c948374/ |
| mailing list. I am on the list.| "ThrustMe" on XPilot, ARCnet and IRC |
| Keyboard error: <Ctrl> and <Alt> are stuck - press <Del> to continue |