Re: sockets and NFS...

From: Trond Myklebust (trond.myklebust@fys.uio.no)
Date: Fri Mar 03 2000 - 08:05:50 EST

>> - Actual network is congested, and you are running out of
>> socket buffer space. You'll probably need to wait for linux-2.4
>> before a general fix is available (it has already been included
>> in linux-2.3.x).

> The network in question consists of four PC's on a 10baseT
> network, one being a dedicated print server and another a
> dedicated modem server and firewall, neither of which generate
> much in the way of traffic. Those two are at opposite ends of
> the net segment, with the total length being about 10 metres,
> so there shouldn't be any length related problems either.

I wouldn't be so sure: this case depends largely on the network cards'
ability to quickly send off any request you put in the buffer. My
experience is that even a 100Mbit card can quickly build up a backlog
in the case of bulk transfers (which presumably is why people have
developed Gigabit cards). This turned out to be a major problem when
developing the write-gathering server optimized NFS client even on a
(by modern standards) slow PPro 180MHz.

Of course the robustness of the card's driver is also important, and
this often contributes to the problem (cf. the eepro100 driver under
linux-2.3.x where x < 40ish).

Cheers,
  Trond