Re: Linux 2.2.15pre12

From: Paul Jakma (
Date: Fri Mar 03 2000 - 12:33:06 EST

On Thu, 2 Mar 2000, Alan Cox wrote:

> Your ulimits are applied first. This only kicks in at the point something
> has to die and we are totally out of memory

just wondering, could linux implement a 'hard' memory alloc policy? a la
solaris/Tru64/and probably many other unices.. ie when memory is
allocated to an app, it's /guaranteed/ to be there?

also, what is the difference between overcommit_memory set and not
set. I understand from the doc's that when set it's 'free love man' as
far as memory goes, but what are the restrictions put in place when ==

Paul Jakma.

the body of a message to
Please read the FAQ at