Re: Linux 2.2.15pre12

From: Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@suse.de)
Date: Thu Mar 02 2000 - 14:46:22 EST

On Fri, 3 Mar 2000, Alan Cox wrote:

>> just wondering, could linux implement a 'hard' memory alloc policy? a la
>> solaris/Tru64/and probably many other unices.. ie when memory is
>> allocated to an app, it's /guaranteed/ to be there?
>
>If someone wrote the code then yes. Basically it comes down to ensuring
>that the total amount of address space is contained
>
>Doing it perfectly is hard - very hard and I've yet to see anyone get it

Agreed. Think if a network flood happens, it looks silly to forbid the
network to allocate the free memory because somebody is supposed to own it
even if it's not using it. We try to be smart in optimizing the memory
usage and so we couldn't be sure there's enough memory for page faults.

Spotting the offender can be done with proper informations that currently
aren't available, I actually disagree with the oom killer in 2.2.15pre12.

Andrea