Re: HIGH MEMORY access

From: david parsons (orc@pell.portland.or.us)
Date: Fri Mar 03 2000 - 18:56:20 EST

In article <linux.kernel.20000303182214.56270.qmail@hotmail.com>,
Lyle Coder <x_coder@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Hello All,
>I have a question. The BIOS engineers said that the MPS tables will be in
>the highest region of the available RAM... greater than 1 GB if so much
>memory is available.
>Further more, the MPS tables will be in a region reported "unusable" by E820
>(Thats mentioned in the E820 spec).

   Unusable, not ACPI nvs or reclaim?

   Hmm. Mapping it into memory the easy way won't work very well,
   then, because that will make mem_map[] a fairly huge creature indeed
   (I've got some bioses around that glues an unusable segment right up
   at the 4gb boundary; I'd hate to eat 64mb for pagetables on a 32mb
   machine about as much as I'd hate having to poke around inside all
   the rom segments to see if they're special rom or plain ordinary
   rom so I could decide whether to map them into memory or not.)

                 ____
   david parsons \bi/ ouch.
                  \/