Re: 2.2.15pre13 bttv: CONFIG_VIDEO_MSP3400 still in the sound section

From: Arjan van de Ven (arjan@fenrus.demon.nl)
Date: Sat Mar 04 2000 - 11:10:25 EST

In article <m3sny6hicx.fsf@mantuzo.rhein-neckar.de> you wrote:
[patch snipped]

> Btw, if msp3400 is going to remain in the sound section for good, then
> the ifdefs above are useless and could be removed completely.

I think your patch is at least half right. The one thing I wonder about is
whether a user (not kernel hacker) would understand why his MSP3400 audio
doesn't work when he/she does a "modprobe sb" (or enables sound via a gui
app), when his distribution-vendor decided to compile MSP3400 into the
kernel. Several vendors say "Y" to a lot of Config questions, except for
things that pose a risk (certain SCSI adaptors, sound, network-drivers etc).

The ultimate solution would, of course, be that the MSP driver registers
itself when the sound-modules are insmod'ed into the kernel, but that is
somewhat of a technical chalenge.

Greetings,
   Arjan van de Ven