Re: Linux 2.2.15pre12

From: Paul Jakma (paul@clubi.ie)
Date: Sat Mar 04 2000 - 22:35:20 EST

On Fri, 3 Mar 2000, Rik van Riel wrote:

  We do that now. Problem is that we don't keep track of pages
  that aren't allocated yet for other users. Or COW pages, or
  kernel pages, or ...

  I guess we could build a system which does keep track of
  everything, but I don't think many people will want to use
  it. Imagine needing 3 MB of swap for every apache child
  being forked ... (ditto for mysql, sendmail, ...)

size issues aside, proper accounting that allows linux to better
predict when to say no is surely better than after the fact
killing. It seems cleaner to have code to predict, than to kill. Then
we could gracefully say no, rather than ungracefully have to say
"die" to quite possibly innocent programmes.

(of course i have no idea how complicated proper accounting and usage
prediction could be....)

  regards,

  Rik

groetjes,