Re: [patch] Re: 2.3.49 - rrunner does not build too...

From: Sergey Kubushin (ksi@ksi-linux.com)
Date: Sun Mar 05 2000 - 04:30:50 EST

On Sun, 5 Mar 2000, Mike Galbraith wrote:

> On Sat, 4 Mar 2000, Sergey Kubushin wrote:
>
> > Unfortunately enough, vanilla 2.3.49 with some errors fixed (nothing
> > substantial, just some drivers fixed to get them compile) does not boot here
> > at all :(( "Uncompressing... OK. Now booting the kernel" and the machine is
> > dead...
> >
> > Initrd strikes back? People, will it EVER be fixed? We did already make the
> > setproctitle() fix (the right way IMHO with a coupla syscalls and supporting
> > userspace function which can be forced into glibc or made a separate lib),
> > but we're unable to test it :((
>
> As far as I know, initrd _is_ fixed. Funny thing: B. D. Elliot and I
> both posted workarounds for the problem, and you didn't even comment.
> Now you blurt "People, will it EVER be fixed?". Color me unimpressed.

Look, I'm NOT a kernel hacker. I have helluva lot of another work and I can
NOT spend all of my time struggling with omissions and miscellaneous typos
in kernel sources which should have not been there if somebody did try to
compile the kernel before releasing. I'm a distribution maker and I have
much more urgent things to do. Yes, I do want to have some 2.3.xx which does
boot and which I can use as a base for a distro's beta. And I'm ready to
help in reaching this goal doing my best.

But it's not me, who is the kernel writer...

> WRT (your) boot problem: If you're good enough to add syscalls to the
> kernel, you're good enough to sprinkle printk's around and at least try
> to see where it hangs. Posting diagnostic info might lead to resolution
> of your problem whereas posting sarcastic comments certainly will not.

I'd like to. But unfortunately I do NOT have enough time to do exclusively
kernel hacking and debugging. Yes, I can try some options, trace an oops
etc., but I will NOT spend all of my time trying to solve misteries kinda
"Why does the thing not boot at all?"... And I can't reboot my machine
umpting times a day for nothing. Especially considering the fact that often
encountered full fsck (we don't have journalling FS in kernel yet, do we?)
on 36 Gbyte disks takes almost an hour...