Re: Linux 64 bit - Trillium

From: Drew Sanford (drew@weakley.aeneas.net)
Date: Sun Mar 05 2000 - 14:33:36 EST

<snip>
> The AS/400 is more like a toaster than a computer. They take an
interesting
> approach of implementing a protected machine via software 'trust'. The
> compiler generates apps that are written in an interpreted layer and have
> been validated to some extent. The code is then executed JIT style with
> trust checks in the code. The real hardware is much akin to an MMUless
386.
<snip>
> Alan

Having done quite a bit of work with banks, all of whom have used AS400's
for transaction accounting, I developed alot of respect for the way AS400's
do things. It has more than once crossed my mind to get my hands on one of
the systems the banks were phasing out just to see if I could port some form
of linux to run in a VM on the AS400 much like the linux port to the S/390.
Were it not for a lack of time and sometimes money, I think I would already
have made a go at this. I think it would make quite a machine running linux.
As a side note, when I read Alan's remark about the AS400 being more like a
toaster than a computer, it made me stop and think for a second. I think if
anyone else had said that, it would have created in a desire to dropkick the
person that said it, and teach them a thing or two. Coming from Alan,
however, it seems outragously funny....it took me nearly 5 minutes to be
able to hit reply. I don't know where the idea of it being like a toaster
came from, but the technicallity in the architecture is accurate. I've still
got a maniacal smile on my face ....

Drew Sanford
Director of Networking
Aeneas Internet Technologies