Re: system doesn't shut down

From: Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com)
Date: Sun Mar 05 2000 - 12:34:08 EST

Pierfrancesco Caci wrote:

> :-> "Jeff" == Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com> writes:
>
> > Paul Vojta wrote:
> >> I looked through acpi.c, and it seems to me that ACPI power-off support
> >> has not yet been written for linux.
>
> > That's funny, when I install acpid, power-off works great for me.
>
> do you use any user-land software to stop it? without acpi I used to
> simply write "poweroff" as root and apm would shut down the machine at
> the end of the shutdown process. Well, I can wait for the patch
> allowing preferred shutdown method to come into mainsteam kernel...

That patch will never come. If you use ACPI, APM is disabled.
Therefore, you must use acpid in order to shutdown properly.

APM is simple but ugly, that's why you don't need a daemon to shutdown.

ACPI is complex but powerful, that's why you need userland help to do
useful stuff.

--
Jeff Garzik              | Rule 1:
Building 1024            | There is no cabal.