Re: bug: mount on an open directory succeeds

From: Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 06 2000 - 05:31:45 EST

On Mon, 6 Mar 2000, V Ganesh wrote:

> and now it's the new (mounted) /mnt.
> so ls . will show you the mounted directory, but ls -l fails because
> it's trying to stat files of the mounted directory in the covered directory.
>
> I've appended a tentative fix below, need to check it. look ok ?

_Might_ be OK, except that you can't get to the covering object if you do
that. I'ld rather have /proc/self/cwd giving you the cwd (instead of the
covering object) and made ls without arguments try to open that before the
"." (on the theory that the former is precisely our cwd while the latter
is best approximation to it).

Patch looks sane, but ". == no-op" semantics looks wrong for me. I'ld
rather see ". == step upwards" variant.