Re: cow-links

From: Jamie Lokier (lk@tantalophile.demon.co.uk)
Date: Mon Mar 06 2000 - 08:53:18 EST

Alexander Viro wrote about MS SIS:
> 3) crappy way to save disk space - properly solved by unionfs.

>From an administrative perspective I think it's a very good way to save
space. Remember years ago when people installed windows applications,
and the DLLs clobbered each other and broke everything?

Now they can follow a sensible standard: the application's DLLs are
installed alongside the application and the filesystem removes
duplication automatically.

I suppose the installer could do that, if everyone agrees to use the
same installer.

Do you think this doesn't happen with unix? It certainly does in large
multiuser installations. Users download, build and install their own
local copies of various software. Because they're not root. Because
their bit of extra software shouldn't interfere with the "standard" set
of software managed by the sysadmins.

That causes duplicated files. Even a tool that finds duplicate files
and hard links them is no good for that situation -- each user requires
the view that the files are their own.

-- Jamie