Re: Bad skb and hard irq messages with 2.3.49, PPP, USB modem

From: Andi Kleen (ak@suse.de)
Date: Mon Mar 06 2000 - 10:57:59 EST

Jamie Lokier <ln@tantalophile.demon.co.uk> writes:

> My log just filled up. Lots and lots of dubious messages about bad skbs
> and hard IRQs. It's a ppp link that worked fine with 2.3.40.

The bad skbs message come from NETFILTER_DEBUG. Turn that off.

The hard irq messages mean that the USB driver is not converted to the
new kfree_skb() scheme yet. Replace the kfree_skb that run in interrupt
context with kfree_skb_irq() (or kfree_skb_any() if you are not sure or
if it can run in both process/irq context)

> The hard IRQ might be because I'm using a USB modem. I think the USB
> ACM driver might be calling ppp code from irq context which is called
> from bh context by the standard serial driver.

Sounds like a bug -- the PPP driver is probably not reentrant enough for
that.

-Andi