If something is not stated in POSIX we should not bother even if 90%+ of Linux system out there using it ??

From: Khimenko Victor (khim@sch57.msk.ru)
Date: Mon Mar 06 2000 - 12:32:35 EST

Sorry for spoiling party but it's me again with old question about
setproctitle(3) again. Even if setproctitle(3) is not posix, even if hackish
implememtation in wu-ftpd & sendmail worked due to outstanding bug in Linux
kernel it's not excuse to ignore the whole problem. I repeat: LOTS of programs
out there (ftpd, sendmail & inn are just few examples) using setproctitle().
setproctitle() DOES NOT work in 2.3 anymore (and no, stupid Johnson's ideas
will NOT work here: you just can not change `wc -c /proc/<number>/cmdline` from
userspace in 2.3 like it was possible in 2.2). Is it Ok to break TONS of
important programs and to not propose any fix at all ?

I've sent fix to lklm few days ago and got ABSOLUTELY not responce from anyone
(except Jeff Garzik who just stated that he did not feel he's right person to
review patch). Of course mount() behaviour is more interesting but what about
good old sendmail ?