3c59x & Cat 4003 Ethernet Lockups

From: Jordan Mendelson (jordy@napster.com)
Date: Mon Mar 06 2000 - 13:11:47 EST

I'm not sure this is a Linux problem, however I thought I'd shoot out
some
email anyway.

We have a set of Catalyst 4003 switches which we connect to various
dual-processor Linux machines w/ 3com 590B ethernet adapters. We've been
seeing random lockups of the switch ports where both the switch and the
Linux boxes appear to see eachother, but refuse to forward packets
between them.

Doing an ifconfig eth0 down up and readding the default route appears to
fix the problem, however I've found it odd that rebooting the switch
does not indicating that the Linux boxes network driver must be stuck in
a vary strange state.

Kernel is 2.2.14 SMP w/ various internal fixes to handle the number of
persistant connections we have. We've tried both Donald Becker's driver
as well as 3com's (which is what we are currently using).

One interesting thing is that with the 3com driver, the 'carrier'
counter on ifconfig keeps incrementing constantly. All the cables have
been replaced numerous times so we are quite sure it's not that. The
ports have been forced into 100 Mbps full-duplex. Also it migh be
interesting to note that only the ports connecting to our messaging
servers, which handle > 10K simultaneous connections are locking.
Identical machines running other services aren't.

I'd appreciate any help you could give,

Jordan Mendelson
Napster, Inc.