Re: 2.3.4[89] fail to probe/id IDE properly (long)

From: Andre Hedrick (andre@suse.com)
Date: Tue Mar 07 2000 - 00:08:30 EST

On Tue, 7 Mar 2000, Alan Cox wrote:

> > This is fine and dandy in ix86 world, but the driver covers all platforms,
> > not just intel centric universes........
> > This prevents wild grabbing on huge IO spaces in other archs, like PPC and
> > M68K.
>
> A quick check for linearly sequential ports would be nice 8)

Okay, I just have to remember how to connect the dots .........

I am shaking out the GLOBAL blow off of "CONFIG_PCI" by all Maintainers,
this includes myself, in both stable and development kernels.
I have fond most if not all +/- 1 (as always) in IDE, a major safety catch
in NET missing, SCSI and the rest are not scoped out yet.........

ide is much worst than 'net' but fixable......

./drivers/net/Config.in

- bool ' EISA, VLB, PCI and on board controllers' CONFIG_NET_PCI
+ if [ "$CONFIG_PCI" = "y" ]; then
+ bool ' EISA, VLB, PCI and on board controllers' CONFIG_NET_PCI
+ fi

sound ??

./drivers/*---------- needs to be checked for PCI_CONFIG dependencies...

Andre Hedrick