Re: Does your change make find faster by changing where it is storedor where it is returned?

From: Andreas Jaeger (aj@suse.de)
Date: Tue Mar 07 2000 - 07:47:39 EST

>>>>> Jamie Lokier writes:

Jamie> I am proposing changing the interface to the one that Glibc already
Jamie> exports, and which has precedent in BSD4.4. I.e., there are
Jamie> applications which can use it.

Jamie> There just seems to be a hole at the moment: Glibc exports d_type info
Jamie> from readdir but always stores DT_UNKNOWN in it.

And that's why Ulrich Drepper likes to see a new syscall. If we've
got a new syscall, we can easiliy store DT_UNKNOWN when using the old
one - and using the real value from the kernel with the new syscall.

For kernels without your changes, we need to set d_type to DT_UNKNOWN,
otherwise applications will break.

Andreas

--
 Andreas Jaeger