Re: BSD Licensed files in Linux kernel.

From: Michael H. Warfield (mhw@wittsend.com)
Date: Tue Mar 07 2000 - 09:44:07 EST

On Wed, Mar 08, 2000 at 01:26:43AM +1100, Darren Reed wrote:
> Sorry to disturb you folks, but someone has pointed out to me
> that there are some files (e.g. linux/drivers/net/bsd_comp.c)
> which are licensed under the BSD license and not the GPL.

> Whilst the Linux kernel itself is `meant' to be GPL'd, there
> would appear to be some doubt about whether the GPL would allow
> such files to be included (no sub-licensing, etc). Has anyone
> received legal advice about whether those files do in fact
> represent a further restriction that would conflict with the
> GPL ? If so, can they still be (re)distributed with Linux ?
> Afterall, it is not appropriate to just remove the offending
> lines...

        I may be wrong on this but I believe that is why the BSD
compression routines can only be built as loadable modules. They
can not be configured and compiled hard-linked into the kernel.
That was suppose to be deemed sufficient to satisfy the requirements
of the GPL. I don't believe there is any problem with distributing
non-GPL files with GPL files in agregates, you just can't compile and
link them into one binary.

> Darren

> p.s. This is just to settle an argument elsewhere about this, so
> I thought I'd ask the "experts"...

        Mike

--
 Michael H. Warfield    |  (770) 985-6132   |  mhw@WittsEnd.com