Re: 2.3.4[89] fail to probe/id IDE properly (long)

From: Andre Hedrick (andre@suse.com)
Date: Tue Mar 07 2000 - 14:28:53 EST

On Tue, 7 Mar 2000, Alan Cox wrote:

> > ide is much worst than 'net' but fixable......
> >
> > ./drivers/net/Config.in
> >
> > - bool ' EISA, VLB, PCI and on board controllers' CONFIG_NET_PCI
> > + if [ "$CONFIG_PCI" = "y" ]; then
> > + bool ' EISA, VLB, PCI and on board controllers' CONFIG_NET_PCI
> > + fi
> >

> That is wrong. Many of those controllers are on non PCI machines. Whoever
> made that diff fucked up

Alan,

Nobady made the diff yet, I suggested something of this nature because of
catching several PCI device build options without PCI_CONIFG set...
If someone is building a kernel that has not PCI devices but guess at a
driver to use because of name, they non-build after several hours would
make people pissed.

I can build a i486 non-pci and get hosed over eepro100 or several other
PCI drivers that shoudl not be available. This also happens with MCA
builds that the above happens.

These are housekeeping details and not "f-up" issues......

Andre Hedrick
The Linux ATA/IDE guy