Re: BSD Licensed files in Linux kernel.

From: Aaron Denney (wnoise@ugcs.caltech.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 07 2000 - 15:49:42 EST

Mike A. Harris <mharris@meteng.on.ca> wrote:
> That is true, but I've got one question about it. When UCB
> dropped clause (3), is it across the board for all existing BSD
> licensed software? In other words, if I take BSD source that
> contains the clause, can I now ignore it completely? I've wanted
> to create some specific Linux software under GPL license *ONLY*
> for a while now, but didn't want to start from scratch.

If it originated at UCB, and no one else added any further restrictions,
then you can. If someone else wrote it, and used the BSD license, then
no, you can't. Slapping the GPL on it could easily be taken as a rather
rude thing to do, however.

> Can I now use the new BSD license without the clause, or would
> the authors of the software need to make a new release with the
> modified license? In particular the package is bsd-games as
> stated above. If I can now use that code in a fully GPL product,
> I'd like to do so.

The authors of the software need to make a new release with the modified
license. The Regents of the University of California at Berkely have
already done so (or at least "virtually" made a new release). I don't
think all of the bsd-games package originated at UC Berkely though.

--
Aaron Denney
-><-