** How to Disable IDE-TAPE and use IDE-SCSI.o?

From: Quang Nguyen (formerly Ngo) (quang@tapeware.com)
Date: Tue Mar 07 2000 - 18:10:52 EST

We have written a SCSI driver that talks to sg.o (SCSI Generic). The driver
works with SCSI tape drives. Now we want the same driver to work with IDE
drives. So, if we modprobe (or insmod) the ide-scsi.o module our driver
would work with the IDE drives as well. However, if the ide-tape.o module
is compiled as part of the kernel instead of as a module then accessing the
/dev/hdX would go through the ide-tape driver instead.

Is there anyway to force the IDE driver to route commands to the ide-scsi
instead of the ide-tape driver, even if the ide-tape is compiled as part of
the kernel? If the ide-tape is compiled as a module then it's not a big
problem, just rmmod ide-tape and insmod the ide-scsi and everything works
fine.

We have tried to add stuff to /etc/conf.modules then reboot, but that didn't
work:
    alias block-major-3 ide-scsi
    alias block-major-22 ide-scsi

If you have any suggestions please Cc: me at quang@psnw.com