Re: 2.2.15pre13 fails to compile in smbfs (was i2o)

From: Riley Williams (rhw@MemAlpha.cx)
Date: Wed Mar 08 2000 - 04:39:06 EST

Hi Sergey.

*** It is rumoured that you said...

>> Could you try a "make mrproper" before compiling (remember
>> to save your .config)?

> D'ya think I'm _THAT_ stupid?

> Or may be you're suggesting that one have to do "make
> mrproper" on freshly untarred source tree?

There's at least one kernel that was released in a form where one
HAD to do `make mrproper` before it would compile - I found that
whilst putting together the Linux Kernel Version History pages.
Memory says that it was somewhere in the 1.3 series, but I could
easily be wrong as to its precice location.

As a result, that suggestion isn't as broken as common sense
would assume, especially with a pre-release version.

*** It is rumoured that Arjen said...

> I am just trying to make sure the starting-position is the
> same as I did. (How else would you explain that it works
> for me and not for you? There must be some difference,
> somewhere. "make mrproper" was a first check)

That is an obvious starting point: Make sure that both parties to
a problem solving session are looking at an identical setup.

Another area that would muddy the picture is if one of you has
applied patches to your source tree that aren't in the other's,
and if both of you have done so, the picture is even muddier...

Best wishes from Riley.

 * Copyright (C) 2000, Memory Alpha Systems.
 * All rights and wrongs reserved.