ver_linux script

From: Ville Herva (vherva@niksula.hut.fi)
Date: Wed Mar 08 2000 - 11:35:18 EST

From: Keith Owens <kaos@ocs.com.au>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2000 22:59:41 +1100

> gcc, which binutils you are using. It is usually a good idea to run
> sh /usr/src/linux/scripts/ver_linux
> and include the output when reporting kernel problems.

Perhaps "uname -a" in linux_ver script should changed to
"cat /proc/version"?

The difference is that the latter shows the compiler used to compile the
running kernel, which I gather is often quite valuable point of data:

vherva@babbage:/home/vherva>uname -a
Linux babbage.tky.hut.fi 2.2.15pre11 #1 SMP Fri Mar 3 22:37:53 EET 2000
i686 unknown
vherva@babbage:/home/vherva>cat /proc/version
Linux version 2.2.15pre11 (root@babbage.tky.hut.fi) (gcc version
pgcc-2.95.1 19990816 (release)) #1 SMP Fri Mar 3 22:37:53 EET 2000

Many people have multiple versions of gcc (like I) and use different
version to compile kernels (I usually do - this one accidentally got
compiled with pgcc, but I decided to give it a shot just to see if there
are problems more than usual. ;) )

-- v --

v@iki.fi