Re: Linux responsiveness under heavy load

From: Nicolas MONNET (nico@monnet.to)
Date: Wed Mar 08 2000 - 20:05:37 EST

On Wed, 8 Mar 2000, Alan Cox wrote:

|> If I remember properly, MySQL does not use mmaped files yet; if it would,
|> would that make a difference? Currently it may just be busy copying
|> buffers (I don't know how much of it is a userland issue vs. kernel
|> space).
|
|When your I/O subsystem can do 100Mbytes/second sustained then maybe, but
|with the PC of today - wildly improbable.

I understand this; I mentioned earlier that in my case, MySQL isn't even
swapping (300MB physical memory vs. 45MB db).

Top reports ~10Mb free and 60MB used as buffer.

I don't know linux internals well enough; but what happens when an app is
busy read'ing / seek'ing a file as opposed to reading it mmaped when such
a file is small enough to reside in memory? Does'nt this case make a
difference?