Re: Kernel debugger, other debugging tools

From: Tim Pepper (tpepper@vato.org)
Date: Thu Mar 09 2000 - 19:14:50 EST

On Thu, 9 Mar 2000 Raphael Manfredi <Raphael_Manfredi@pobox.com> wrote:

> The second thing that's missing is a NMI interrupt that would force
> a linux "core dump" even when the keyboards does not respond. I guess

A year ago I was having a similar problem and I wrote a little extension
to the magic sys request key so I could do this sort of thing. Basically it's
just a parallel port driver that lets you use the parport to repeatedly tap in
requests by shorting a pin to ground. The keyboard was dead and this let me
sync disks and reboot. It shouldn't be hard to extend it to interact with a
kernel debugger. It's an old patch..I can check that it works in 2.2
and 2.3 if you want it. Just let me know.