Re: 2.3.50 nfsv3 permission problem

From: Neil Brown (neilb@cse.unsw.edu.au)
Date: Thu Mar 09 2000 - 19:27:06 EST

On March 9, nbecker@fred.net wrote:
> I'm trying 2.3.50 i686-pc-linux-gnu with nfsv3.
>
> It works OK so far as a server to my other linux machines that are
> using nfsv2. However, if I go to a sun running:
>
> SunOS adgsun2 5.6 Generic_105181-13 sun4u sparc
>
> and mount my linux I have a permission problem:
>
> ls -l /net/rpppc2
> total 1
> dr-xr-xr-x 1 root root 1 Mar 9 08:08 disk1
> dr-xr-xr-x 1 root root 1 Mar 9 08:08 usr
> [nbecker@adgsun2 ~]$ ls -l /net/rpppc2/usr
> ls: /net/rpppc2/usr: Permission denied

This looks extremely odd. I cannot reproduce it with an almost
identical system (at least, identical as far as you have described).

Apart from the "Permission denied" message, the link-count and size of
both disk1 and usr look odd. They are both 1. I would expect 2 for
the link count, and 4096 for the size.

1/ What filesystems are you using? ext2fs or something else.
2/ Are there any local mount points. My guess is that both usr and
   disk1 are local mount points. If so, what sort of filesystem.
3/ Can you show me an "ls -l" from the client.
4/ What export options are you using? A "cat /etc/exports" or
    "cat /proc/fs/nfs/exports"
   might help.

NeilBrown