Re: elevator messages in 2.3.50

From: Helge Hafting (helgehaf@idb.hist.no)
Date: Fri Mar 10 2000 - 05:52:10 EST

>No, I suggested holdoff to handle those cases where you _cannot_ predict
>the next block to be read.

I see a problem: increased latency and lower bandwith whenever
a long seek comes up. This will loose badly in the case when
a process reads from two files at either end of the disk.
"diff" and "patch" springs to mind, particularly when the
patchfile and source-tree are on different partitions.
A read from one file waits before the long jump to the other,
not realising that no read for the first area will happen until
the other area is read & processed.

I might even be able to speed up
patching by running something disk-intensive in between the
two files, as this would shorten the distance preventing waiting.

>For paging, readaround still does not predict the early sequence of
>accesses when a program starts
Seems to me that page-tuning the executable code is the best
solution here. It will minimize the number of early accesses,
minimize the working code-set, and give a linear layout that
works well with read-ahead.

Helge Hafting