Re: Some questions about linux kernel.

From: Albert D. Cahalan (acahalan@cs.uml.edu)
Date: Sun Mar 12 2000 - 01:14:02 EST

Khimenko Victor writes:
> [chop] Rik van Riel (riel@conectiva.com.br) wrote:

>> On the contrary, putting together a solution to this
>> problem is easy.
>
> It's not so. SOME solution is easy enough. But is it right solution ?
> This is unclear. To many peoples ANY solution where ANY process can
> be killed is "not right" -- theonly proper solution will be one where
> you'll get NULL from malloc when there are not enough memory.

...and have a system lock-up when even that isn't enough.

I'd really like to see Rik's OOM kill code in 2.4.xx. It is a bug fix,
with the current bug being that X can get killed.

>> The problem has been that people don't understand the issues involved
>> and start a flamewar as soon as a patch (re)surfaces.
>
> Exactly.

Yep, and those people would be the ones who imagine that there is
possible to avoid killing processes.

(the trouble: recursive code using the stack and kernel allocations)

> Ideal solution will be: solution where
> 1) processes will be NEVER killed.
> 2) if there are not enough memory malloc just return NULL.
> 3) virtual memory is used effectively (that is almost 100% of memory+swap
> can be used for "real data").

No problem. Do not boot Linux.