Re: 2.3.51: FBCON: driver-based default font selection broken?

From: James Simmons (jsimmons@acsu.buffalo.edu)
Date: Sun Mar 12 2000 - 10:02:08 EST

> I realised that, however what I am trying to point out is that originally
> the driver could supply a "no kernel argument default fontname". This seems
> to be no longer possible, so to get the font you want to be default, you
> have to specifically deny the user from selecting the other fonts by
> compiling them out of the kernel.
>
> This seems to be a step backwards to me. Could it be arranged that:
>
> 1. If the user specified a font, and the font exists, use this.
> 2. If fb_info.fontname is present, and the font exists, use this.
> 3. Use the first font available.

No it's not a step backwards. It's a step forward. Its just bloat to have
a bunch of font sets built into the kernel when you can use a userland app
to change the fonts. IMO you should only be able to compile in one font
set and use a userland app to change the font sets otherwise. Userland
apps are your friend :)

"Look it's a text editor, no it's a OS, no it's Emacs"
James Simmons ____/|
fbdev/gfx developer \ o.O|
http://www.linux-fbdev.org =(_)=
http://linuxgfx.sourceforge.net U