Size of modern laptops

From: Jamie Lokier (lk@tantalophile.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sun Mar 12 2000 - 11:10:58 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > > Actually, as far as I can tell, on the laptop side Sony makes some
> > > of the best laptops available. I'm biased, because I like my
> > > laptops _small_, and the Japanese laptop vendors tend to be more
> > > aggressive in the size department (and many of the japanese models
> > > never make it to the US).
> >
> > Actually, my versa sx is smaller than most. I believe the panel is
> > the same thickness as the sony, but the system is 1" thick.
>
> 1"? You have a brick. I don't think you even realize what "small" means
> these days.

I nearly bought a VAIO -- they're cute -- but it was, well, too small. :-)
Do you have small fingers?

> We're talking 2 lbs.And at least I personally believe that the bigger
> laptops will die out eventually, I just cannot even imagine carrying the
> 7-9 lbs monsters around any more.

That's _heavier_. Bigger than a VAIO definitely has its place. Usually
on my living room table, but the portability is very useful. Mine is
~3.5 lbs and that is still rather heavy to carry.

Though the cables, external power converter etc. and the soft case that
I carry with it contribute noticably to the weight.

Now if someone would kindly invent a folding screen w/ folding keyboard,
and a nice robust package when it's folded -- that would be perfect.
Small enough to carry, large enough to use.

-- Jamie