Re: 2.3.51: FBCON: driver-based default font selection broken?

From: Russell King (rmk@arm.linux.org.uk)
Date: Sun Mar 12 2000 - 16:15:43 EST

James Simmons writes:
> The functionality is migrating to userland where it belongs. You still
> have the ablity to select to choose the font at boot time. We didn't
> except 2.4.X coming out just yet. Whats so wrong with a nice app like
> setfont to change the fonts from userland. Does the userland app suck that
> much?

You're totally missing the point.

Again, for about the 3rd time:

The old system allowed DRIVERS to have a default font which may be different
depending on the individual DRIVER. A driver may default to the Acorn font,
but you want to offer the user the other fonts. This is possible in kernels
before 2.3.51.

With the new system in 2.3.51, the only way that this is possible is by
physically changing the kernel code and recompiling, since the default is
whichever font the kernel finds first.

Therefore, I conclude that we have lost functionality.
   _____
  | | | | http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/~rmk/aboutme.html / / |
  / | THE developer of ARM Linux |+| /|\