Re: 2.3.51 -- I am still seeing the"shmget: shm filesystem not mounted" error

From: David Odin (David.Odin@bigfoot.com)
Date: Mon Mar 13 2000 - 04:02:33 EST

On Sun, Mar 12, 2000 at 03:32:56PM -0800, Miles Lane wrote:
> > Alan Cox wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > its a very rare problem, lts make it happen every day.

> > > I propose we wait and see what else breaks.
> >
> > Simple answer #1: doom, many apps using Gtk + shared memory pixmaps.
> > Basically it broke an established standardised API that we share with
> > SYS5.4, *BSD and almost everyone else.
>
> Another example of stuff breaking on my system: *** Netscape ***
>
> I run Netscape Messenger 4.72. When I open a message, I get this error:
>
> XF86BigfontQueryFont: could not attach shm segment.
>
> NOTE: I am running XFree86 3.9.18. I have not recompiled XFree86
> since installing kernel 2.3.51. Not sure if this matters.

 Have you mounted the shm filesystem?
 If not, add this line to fstab:
 none /var/shm shm defaults 0 0
 and mount /var/shm,

 This should solve all your problems with shm and 2.3.5x (it did for me...)

              Regards,

                           DindinX

--
David.Odin@bigfoot.com
Author of the French Book: Programmation Linux avec GTK+

The day-to-day travails of the IBM programmer are so amusing to most of us who are fortunate enough never to have been one -- like watching Charlie Chaplin trying to cook a shoe.