Re: Kernel bug question...

From: Mike A. Harris (mharris@meteng.on.ca)
Date: Mon Mar 13 2000 - 05:36:58 EST

On Fri, 10 Mar 2000, Richard B. Johnson wrote:

>> This machine is running 2.0.36 compiled with gcc 2.7.2.3, and has
>> Syslog: syslogd 1.3-3
>
>A guess. If you are having the kernel send messages, i.e., you are
>going through printk(), and the messages are streaming, you are
>running into the fact that printk() has a fixed-length buffer and
>just truncates anything that can't fit.
>
>This is more-or-less necessary because printk() was designed to
>print "panic" and such even after memory allocation failed....

Ok, that is acceptable, but how big is this buffer in
2.0.36? There seem to be log entries that are much longer than
the ones that are chopped off, and the part chopped off is
consistently the *START* of the buffer, not the end. Odd. I
don't know if the same occurs under 2.2.x or not..

It breaks the logfiles anyways and makes perl/grep parsing a
nightmare and practically useless... If anyone has a fix, I'd
appreciate it.

Thanks,
TTYL

--
Mike A. Harris                                     Linux advocate
Computer Consultant                                  GNU advocate

Suspicious Anagram #4: Word: PRESIDENT CLINTON OF THE USA Anagram: TO COPULATE HE FINDS INTERNS