Re: LI Then Hangs

From: Khimenko Victor (khim@sch57.msk.ru)
Date: Mon Mar 13 2000 - 04:47:16 EST

In <20000312215507.A9849@ganymede.isdn.uiuc.edu> Bill Wendling (wendling@ganymede.isdn.uiuc.edu) wrote:
> Sorry if this is completely off topic but...

> I'm trying to install Linux (RedHat 6.0) on an HP Ventra XU 6/150. When I
> get past the BIOS starting stuff, it stalls only printing LI on the
> screen. I've run lilo a number of times and it seems to get the correct
> lilo.conf file (lilo, version 0.21). I've checked the FAQ in
> /usr/doc/FAQ, it says that I might have to place the whole root directory
> within the first 1023 cylinders. The / directory is on a 100M partition
> and the whole disk is only 1G. The disk is SCSI. I've updated lilo to the
> newest one RedHat seems to have and it didn't help.

> Any clues?

Lilo can not find itself on the boot. It means: kernel and BIOS disagree on
BIOS geometry. If you can trash your disk then easiest way is to erase
partition table (with dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/<your disk> bs=512 count=1)
and then use DOS'S fdisk to create partitions -- DOS will use information
from BIOS and Linux will use information from partition table (and then
in Linux's fdisk just change type of partitions do not make partitions itself
with plain fdisk -- not that #$^#%^%&*&(*#$ Disk Druid). It it's not an option
you can play with LiLo settings (there a lot of interesting settings for such
cases).