Re: (reiserfs) Re: patch: reiserfs for 2.3.49

From: Gregory Maxwell (greg@linuxpower.cx)
Date: Mon Mar 13 2000 - 07:37:54 EST

On Mon, 13 Mar 2000, Xuan Baldauf wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm not that kernel hacker but a user of reiserfs, maybe my comments are
> inappropriate...
>
> The code duplication in fs/reiserfs/ is a bug. But does this bug harm anything
> but maybe somewhat performance? If it does not harm, there is no reason for
> reiserfs not to make in pre-2.4 kernels, because those bugs can be fixed. The
> win is at least an as EXPERIMENTAL marked journaling filesystem, and people who
> use it are warned. The loss would be (beside other issues) superiority of other
> OSs regarding startup time after an unclean shutdown, preventing reiserfs to be
> used in large servers. We know why we like and need startup times of 1..2
> minutes instead of 10..20 hours...

The duplicated code is old, and out of like with the current kernel. It
will cause problems. However, it will not affect anyone not using
reiserfs.

Still, I don't see why it needs to be included now. Actually, it would be
better if it wasnt: If included people will run the reiserfs included in
their kernel, while they should be running the latest patch to it from
hans (witness raid v.90 code, it was out for a long time and better then
the old stuff in many ways, people would have benifited if raid was never
included at the earlier time, as the better code would have gotten in
sooner, and they would have ended up applying a better patch rather then
using old code included with the kernel).

Being able to have a logging FS in 2.4 would be a *great* way to show off
how quickly Linux fixes it's problems, but alas...... It looks like it's
fated not to happen. Reiserfs still isn't ready, they are still changing
the disk format.