Re: patch: reiserfs for 2.3.49

From: Yury Yu. Rupasov (yura@yura.polnet.botik.ru)
Date: Mon Mar 13 2000 - 06:08:18 EST

Chris Mason wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Mar 2000, Hans Reiser wrote:
>
> > Alexander Viro wrote:
> >
> > > I couldn't care less about the speed of your code. Sorry if it sounds
> > > rude, but that's it. I _do_ care about the cost of maintaining it during
> > > the VFS changes. Sorry, if your idea of recent changes is
> > > 2.1.130--2.2.5... See the problem? It means that large sections of code
> > > are unmaintained for _long_.
> >
> > Alexander, if you tell us what you want done when making VFS changes we will do
> > it for you. You don't need to take the responsibility for working on reiserfs
> > code you dislike if you don't want it. Truly. You can go on using ext2 and
> > telling all your friends to use ext2, and when you change VFS just let us know.
> >

> Hans, I think Alexander has told us exactly what he wants done. He wants
> us to audit our entire VFS interface, and make sure that we are dealing
> with boundary conditions, special cases, and normal cases the same way the
> existing linux filesystems are. I don't think we need a list from him of
> the broken segments, we should be able to find them on our own. This is
> not an unreasonable request from him, and we should not treat it as one.
>
> Once we fix what we can find, we'll send the patch in again, and hopefully
> the people on linux-kernel and fs-devel audit the code again. This is
> exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping for, and it is appreciated.
>
> -chris

Hello !

I could not find new bugs.

I did :
1. stress.sh 50 with big source tree (~750 MB)
2. postmark 50000 files, 50000 transactions
3. creating 1 million of small files
4. tar / untar kernel source tree
5. compile 2.3.51 kernel on reiserfs partition
6. bonnie++ with default parameters.
7. mongo.sh with default params and with 56000 files in 1 dir.

Reiserfs-3-6-1 for linux-2.3.51 are stable. At least I have not found
bugs yet.

I think we are ready to do the patch.

Best,
Yura.