Re: 2.3.51-52.pre1, shm and mounting somewhere else than /var/shm...

From: Jeremy Katz (katzj@linuxpower.org)
Date: Mon Mar 13 2000 - 13:40:08 EST

[ Monday, March 13 2000 ] had Petr Vandrovec saying:

> is there any reason why SHM must be mounted on /var/shm? If I have
> mounted it in /shmfs, it does following (with xawtv):
[snip strace, etc]
> When I mounted it in /var/shm, it works. Could not shm code start
> walking tree in shmfs root instead of in real root on path /var/shm?
> Have I different SHM namespace if I mount shm in chrooted environment?
> Unfortunately, I do not have address of author of shm changes, so
> I'm asking here.

Allow me to quote from Documentation/Changes:
"To use System V shared memory, you have to mount the shm filesystem
somewhere and put the mountpoint into /proc/sys/kernel/shmpath.
Default is /var/shm."

Also, use in chroot'd environments is being worked on -- see Alan's
latest post on the subject.

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Katz		http://linuxpower.org
Personal: katzj@linuxpower.org

QOTD: The primary function of the design engineer is to make things difficult for the fabricator and impossible for the serviceman.