Re: Linux Jobs: Update

From: Matthew Kirkwood (weejock@ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Mar 13 2000 - 11:41:52 EST

On Mon, 13 Mar 2000, Khimenko Victor wrote:

> You CAN NOT boot Linux without using command line option. Never was,
> never will. You MUST specify at least one option: root=blah-blah-blah

Not true. root=/dev/whatever is /not/ a command-line option on
i386. It gets stored in the b?zImage header.

See "man rdev".

I suspect that there was once a time when the kernel had no concept
of a command-line at all. And anywy, it's very useful be be able to
dd a kernel onto a floppy without having to put something like LILO
there too.

Matthew.