Re: new IRQ scalability changes in 2.3.48

From: Jamie Lokier (lk@tantalophile.demon.co.uk)
Date: Mon Mar 13 2000 - 17:55:36 EST

Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> Anyway it looks more like your object is to put automatic conditional
> schedules all over the place (when each locks gets dropped) than to take
> advantage of getting rescheduled in kernel mode by an irq.

I think Ingo's idea is to do both: resched on irq when no spinlocks are
held, and if locks are held, resched when the last one is released.

You have to do them together. Just resched on irq won't give low
latency when you get an irq in a spinlock region.

Note: In many cases, spinlock_irqsave doesn't need to do the
spinlock_depth thing on UP. However, not all cases: the code in the
lock region might wake up another task.

enjoy,
-- Jamie