Re: Linux Jobs: Update

From: Khimenko Victor (khim@sch57.msk.ru)
Date: Mon Mar 13 2000 - 19:03:13 EST

In <Pine.LNX.4.10.10003130912420.2340-100000@innerfire.net> Gerhard Mack (gmack@innerfire.net) wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Mar 2000, Jeff Garzik wrote:

>> On Mon, 13 Mar 2000, Bill Wendling wrote:
>>
>> > Also sprach Kjartan Maraas:
>> > [sb problem snipped...]
>> > }
>> > } This is described in Configure.help I think. It's now a kernel command
>> > } line option.
>> > }
>> > *ahem* excuse me...
>> >
>> > AAAAAAA!!!!!
>> >
>> > WHY?!?! This is horrid! No longer can I simply reboot my machine but I
>> > have to use command line options?
>>
>> Oh wah. Use modular sound then.
>>
>> Jeff

> This thread is getting sick ....

> Command line what?
> Boot parameters?

Yes.

> I think some people must be too busy getting their flames in to make sure
> their facts are strait.

> The following worked for me:
> make menuconfig
> go to the "Plug and Play configuration" sub menu
> enable "Plug and Play" support.
> enable "ISA Plug and play support"

> This works ... no command line options needed. This is MUCH easier than
> the old way folks.. If I had known this was the fix in the first place I
> wouldn't have started this whole damn thread.

Ok. How it'll fix my old SB16 NON-PnP ? Yes, this big full-sized card
(and no, it's NOT old tired 386 -- it's pretty decent Pentium class system
with 128MiB RAM, 13GiB HDD, etc).

> Someone earlier said that they think command line options are a kludge and
> he was correct. I don't think they are needed here and they are just as
> much a kludge as compiling the settings in.

They NEEDED here.

> What we have now is that most of the time we now need one less kludge.

Modifyable things should be where it's easy changeable till it hurt performance.
That is: in command line on in /etc/modules.conf. NOT deep in kernel sources.

> Can we let this thread die now?

Perhaps: looks like noone can convince anyoneto change his/her mind...