Re: 2.3.51 cardbus

From: Dominik Kubla (dominik.kubla@uni-mainz.de)
Date: Tue Mar 14 2000 - 01:59:00 EST

On Mon, Mar 13, 2000 at 11:40:24AM -0800, David Hinds wrote:
> If you are still having problems with the 2.3.* CardBus stuff, I think
> it would be particularly useful to post *both* messages with that
> kernel, as well as the messages with the current standalone PCMCIA
> drivers with a 2.2.* kernel. That might point out resource allocation
> differences that might be responsible for your problem.

1. The driver is not built unless you figure out to enable it under PCI
   where normal users will definitely _not_ look for PC-Card drivers.

2. cardmgr has no idea it needs to look for tulip.o in misc/ instead of
   tulip_cb.o in pcmcia/: it complains about unknown card in slot 0.

3. modprobing the tulip driver manually correctly recognizes my Xircom
   RBEM56G-100 but i see no link and no error output.

4. Trying to force the different variants of the 10BaseT medium (w/ and
   w/o MII) makes no difference, but at least gets a reaction from the
   card: it's complaining about too many tries in a function called
   <something>_CSR6 (i am quoting from memory here since the laptop is
   in the office and i am not)

5. The IRQ allocation is identical between 2.3.36 and 2.3.52-2.
   The I/O allocation is different as far as i can tell: 2.3.36 appears
   to only allocate 0x200-0x287, while 2.3.52-2 tries to allocate io space
   above 0x1000 as well.

My analysis:

a) configuration of the source is broken.
b) the handling of tulip based cards by cardmgr (v3.1.11) is broken
c) the driver is broken (i guess "no link, no matter what you do" qualifies
   as broken...)

d) irq allocation appears to be in order, there are difficulties with the
   resource allocation of the card (wrt the secondary modem/isdn function)
   which i already made Linus aware of.

What else do you want to know?

Dominik

--
  Networking Group,  Hospital of Johannes Gutenberg-University
  Obere Zahlbacher Straße 69, 55101 Mainz, Germany