Re: Overcommitable memory??

From: David Whysong (dwhysong@physics.ucsb.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 14 2000 - 06:07:46 EST

On 13 Mar 2000, david parsons wrote:
>David Whysong <dwhysong@physics.ucsb.edu> wrote:
>>
>>Ok, so my big gravitational simulation gets NULL from malloc and decides
>>to save it's work and exit. Uh-oh, time to demand-load a page of
>>executable code that had been discarded,
>
> Discarded? But that would be overcommit -- if your system is running
> without overcommit, there has to be a space for that page someplace
> in core, and it shouldn't be blown away, no matter how frantically
> the kernel may want to use that page for something else.

...yes, and you conveniently cut my next paragraph that shows the problems
in the case where you do not overcommit application memory...

Dave

David Whysong dwhysong@physics.ucsb.edu
Astrophysics graduate student University of California, Santa Barbara
My public PGP keys are on my web page - http://www.physics.ucsb.edu/~dwhysong
DSS PGP Key 0x903F5BD6 : FE78 91FE 4508 106F 7C88 1706 B792 6995 903F 5BD6
D-H PGP key 0x5DAB0F91 : BC33 0F36 FCCD E72C 441F 663A 72ED 7FB7 5DAB 0F91