Re: Latest Linux kernels' md(software RAID) features

From: Ingo Molnar (mingo@chiara.csoma.elte.hu)
Date: Tue Mar 14 2000 - 10:15:50 EST

On Mon, 13 Mar 2000, Nicholas Vinen wrote:

> Hi, I'm having a problem with the raid0 features of the latest Linux
> kernels. (2.3.50, 2.3.51 and 2.3.52-prewhatever). Basically when I do
> "mdadd -ar" on bootup I get:
>
> /dev/hde5: no such device
> /dev/hdg5: no such device
> /dev/md0: no such device

you'll have to upgrade to the latest stable raidtools version:

    http://www.<*>.kernel.org/pub/linux/daemons/raid/alpha/raidtools-19990824-0.90.tar.gz

this will mean you'll have to convert your mdtools command (and/or
/etc/mdtab) to raidtools commands and a /etc/raidtab specifying your
configuration. The layout of the physical devices is forward (and
backwards) compatible, and you can still keep mdtools around in case you
boot back into an older kenrel. You also might want to read the RAID HOWTO
at:

    http://ostenfeld.dk/~jakob/Software-RAID.HOWTO/

> (P.S. what happened to raid1, 4, 5)

(it's being merged. mdtools never supported raid1/4/5.)

        Ingo