Re: [patch] preemptive kernel, preemptive-2.3.52-A7

From: Manfred Spraul (manfreds@colorfullife.com)
Date: Tue Mar 14 2000 - 17:26:12 EST

Ingo Molnar wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Mar 2000, Manfred Spraul wrote:
>
> > I've seen such code from egcs-1.1.2, IIRC in do_softirq().
>
> oh! does this explain the do_softirq() weirdness you have noticed?

No, the asm output looks fine:
egcs loads local_bh_count into a register for the in_interrupt() test,
then it increases the register and stores the register back into
local_bh_count.

I have 2 explanations for the high do_softirq numbers:

* problem with readprofile (version 2.00, May 1996): it also reported
that sys_shutdown() got called, and I doubt that this is true ;)
[prof_shift=1]

* do_softirq reenables the interrupts after a hardware interrupt. If a
timer interrupt was pending, then do_softirq gets the profiling hit.

--
	Manfred