Re: fcntl(2) and other file systems like XFS

From: Dan.Koren@sgi.com
Date: Wed Mar 15 2000 - 00:05:26 EST

Jim Mostek wrote:

> I don't see a callout from sys_fcntl into a file system specific
> routine (other than for file locking). There is a lock callout in
> the file operations that can be invoked in fcntl_getlk/fcntl_setlk/...
> (I'm looking in 2.3.42). But, this is different than file system
> specific fcntls. There is a call to sock_fcntl if the inode is a
> socket. But, I don't see a call for a file system specific fcntl
> in sys_fcntl..

If memory serves, in SVRx derived Unixes fcntl calls are supposed
to resolve in the FS-independent layer, therefore the need for FS
writers to resort to ioctl's in order to provide access to unique
features in their FS. I suppose that's where Linus got the idea...

thx,

dk

---------
Dan Koren Dan.Koren@sgi.com
Silicon Graphics, Inc. phone: (USA) 650-933-3678
1200 Crittenden Lane M/S 30-3-802 fax: (USA) 650-932-0317
Mountain View, CA 94040 dkoren_p@pager.sgi.com