Re: Linux Jobs: Update

From: Werner Almesberger (almesber@lrc.epfl.ch)
Date: Tue Mar 14 2000 - 18:52:44 EST

Dominik Kubla wrote:
> Does it work with bzImage? It never did for me.

Just tried it, works, as expected:
 - comment out root=... in /etc/lilo.conf
 - pick one of your bzImages you don't like, e.g. /bzImage.junk
 - rdev /bzImage.junk /dev/hdb6 # pick some partition you don't have
 - /sbin/lilo
 - reboot
 - select bzImage.junk and you should get a nice kernel panic
   because it can't mount hdb6

> Does it work on non-i386 systems? Never did for me either (alpha/sparc)...

rdev is architecture-specific. At least one non-i386 architecture (ARM)
has an equivalent concept of a parameter block (at least in 2.2), so an
rdev equivalent could be implemented there (maybe it is), although the
field offsets are different. Don't know about other architectures.

- Werner