Re: Some questions about linux kernel.

From: Alex Belits (abelits@phobos.illtel.denver.co.us)
Date: Wed Mar 15 2000 - 04:32:45 EST

On Wed, 15 Mar 2000, James Sutherland wrote:

> > Killing Oracle, or any other server that depends on some process being
> > alive and keeping a valuable, complex, hard to recover data on disk and
> > in memory, is in some cases not any better than just blowing up the box.
>
> It may not be any better, but it is certainly no worse - particularly if
> we can SIGTERM the process first. In the case of the Oracle server, it
> should be able to use this to sync the database, close connections and
> exit gracefully.

  All that without being able to allocate more memory?

> Later, I would like to add priorities (e.g. try to kill x, y and z first,
> then kill all the non-root processes (or the non-dbuser processes, or
> whatever), then kill the rest.)
>
> No strategy will ever be perfect, but this system is pretty good, IMO.

  Why not just make some means to set strategy from userspace? Say, init
runs xdm through a wrapper that gives it an ability to set the
survivability policy for its children, and xdm runs local X server with
high "proprity to survive". When user logs in, Xsession runs with this
ability lost, so mortal user won't be able to mess with this policy unless
he runs some restrictive setuid wrapper for his programs (not unlike
sudo), so some "important" programs can run as user yet will not be killed
too soon. inetd runs with high "priority to survive" yet the policy is
set so its children won't inherit it unless they are run through a
wrapper. And to make things even more flexible, sysadmin or some
"smart" daemon then can use something similar to renice(8) that will be
able to change this policy for already running processes.

--
Alex

---------------------------------------------------------------------- Excellent.. now give users the option to cut your hair you hippie! -- Anonymous Coward